Friday, October 9, 2009

TheMinx Meets Brother Bryan

Well, not really. I did *see* him a few times the other night, when Neal P. and I celebrated our anniversary at his restaurant, Volt.

We arrived a few minutes early for our reservation and as we pulled into the attached parking lot, we spotted Chef Voltaggio unloading some items from the back of a truck. He turned and treated us to his customary phlegmatic look, which gave me a chuckle. You know, this one:

Here's a rundown of what we ate.... First, some halibut escabeche. That's escabeche, not suh-VEECH.

For apps, I had the beet tasting...

...Neal had the arugula salad.

We both had the tempura fried sweetbreads with flavors of piccata.

For my entrée, I chose the halibut, so I can attest to the fact that Bryan and Laurine's halibut dish this week was pretty great.

Neal went for lamb with merguez sausage and eggplant.

On to dessert. I had "Textures of Chocolate"...

Neal had goat's cheese cheesecake.

And if we weren't full enough, we were brought a plate of mignardises in the form of tiny ice cream sandwiches.

I had told our waitress that we were fans of Top Chef, and she kindly took me by the kitchen to gawk at Chef Bryan, but when I saw how busy he was (there's a dining room in the kitchen, and the rest of the place seemed pretty full as well - on a Wednesday night!) I decided not to barge in and introduce myself. Maybe next time.

If you want to read a more full accounting of our meal, click here. I'm already trying to decide when we should go back!

No comments: