Sunday, June 19, 2011

All Top Chef Interview with "Rocco's Dinner Party" Episode 1 Winner, JJ Johnson



All Top Chef spoke with J.J. Johnson about his appearance on the Bravo show. Thank you Chef JJ!

ATC: How did you learn to cook?

JJ: I started to cook at the age of 6 or 7 with my grandmother.

I learned to make beets and squash and other things that I didn’t like, but I had to eat and today these are among my favorite foods.

I saw a commercial for the CIA when I was little boy and I told my mom I was going to be a chef. She laughed.

I was always in the kitchen. I was peeling potatoes. It was a natural thing for me.

I began working as a dishwasher at the age of 14. I started working at a local country club. I was accepted into the CIA and then started working. I worked for Tribeca Grill, Tropica and other great restaurants.

ATC: Where are you working now?

JJ: I work at Executive Dining Facility.

It is inside of a financial institution. It’s for about 75 top executives and the clients that they want to schmooze.

There is really no food cost, it’s all about pleasing the clients. We change our menu every day. These executives are used to dining at Per Se and Oceana and other three and four-star restaurants and we have to match that.

ATC: After winning the competition last night, will you be asking your boss for a raise?

JJ: We'll see.

Click here to continue.

Click here for JJ's website and click here for his facebook page.
Posted on AllTopChef.com

No comments: