Wednesday, August 8, 2012

All Top Chef Interview with Chef Debbie Gold

Thank you, Chef Gold, for answering our questions!

Did you watch the previous seasons of Top Chef?
I have seen parts of the other seasons. Not in their entirety, as I am usually working. I do know what happens after every episode, as a cook, friend or family will be talking about what happened. So I get to keep up with what is happening without having to see it myself.

Did you do anything to prepare for the competition?
Going over some base recipes.

If you could go back, is there anything that you would do differently?
Hindsight is always 20/20. Plus having more time and no pressure lets you think through what was asked.

Did you watch the episode?
I begin to watch, then I begin to feel the stress that I felt while on the show and then I can’t watch anymore. However it is interesting to watch the judges talk before the chefs are brought out.

Tell us about your restaurant.
The American Restaurant was opened in 1974 and is owned by Hallmark Cards. The Restaurant has a wonderful pedigree. It was designed by Warren Plattner (who designed windows of the world). James Beard and Barbara Kafka were consultants on the menu when it first opened. These are just a few of the talented people involved in the creation of The American Restaurant. It is the only four star Forbes and four diamond restaurant in Kansas City. My food is about simplicity. Bring out the best of the individual ingredient.

When you arrived at the Top Chef kitchen, who did you feel would be your biggest competition?
You can’t really tell who will be the biggest competition. All the chefs are talented. It really depends on luck, talent, and ability to perform under the circumstances of each episode.

Have you remained in touch with any of the other chefs?
Absolutely! This was a great group of people. We got along very well. I was already friends with some of the chefs, before I was on the show. I have become fast friends with the others.

Have you participated in any other cooking competitions?
I competed on TCM Season 2. I competed on Ready, Set , Cook and also for various local fundraisers.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I spend my time with my children. I love to travel and I collect old (and new) cook books and antique scales. I can spend hours and hours going through antique stores. I love art and the theater.

Chef, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?
Thank you to all those that supported me on the show. It was great fun and I gave it my best.

Posted on AllTopChef.com

No comments: